Saturday, April 30, 2005

sunflowers

We planted some Sunflowers along the fence in our backyard and they are beginning to grow! It is so fun and so easy to grow Sunflowers! We actually got a little package of them in the "one spot" (aka dollar section) at Target, and when we got home I realized it was just a pack of Sunflower seeds and some soil. They suggested planting a couple of the seeds in their soil, and then pushing any extras (there were about 20 seeds total so we had lots of extras!) into your garden soil. The seeds were just plain old Sunflower seeds, nothing special about them (unsalted :). We pushed them about an inch into the ground--no special soil just what we call dirt out in the back yard--and they are now growing! Some are just pushing thru the soil, and others are about an inch or two high with leaves. We lost a few, but I cant wait to see what happens with the ones that are now sprouting up!

2 Comments:

Blogger andrea said...

how exciting! I love sunflowers so much and have always wanted to grow some myself... you will surely have a wonderful time with luxie watching them grow... what a great learning experience! we'll have to come over and take a little lookie. or maybe I should find a sunny spot in our yard and plant some, too...

10:32 AM  
Blogger mommy zabs said...

hmmmmmm. I think you have inspired me to grow some sunflowers. I would think they would grow good down here?

11:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home