Monday, April 11, 2005

my turn!

Today Luxie and I went to the park with a few friends and their kids. One of the little girls is about a year or so older than Luxie, so of course everything Sydney did Luxie had to do too. And everything Luxie wanted to do Sydney was going to do faster and better and....first. Dont get me wrong, all of the kids present were actually very well behaved, but sharing and taking turns is just a difficult learning experience all around for every kid, and that is where my story begins.

Sydney was doing a great job going down the cork screw slide until Luxie decided to join her. Every time Sydney would go down Luxie was right behind her and soon Sydney was doing everything she could to beat Luxie to the slide the next time around. Sydney was becoming a little frustrated with Luxie and at one point said, "Wait, you cant beat me down, it's my turn!" Of course Luxie, having no idea what Sydney was talking about, continued on down the slide and gleefully screamed back up at her, "My turn! My turn!" Sydney's mom decided to pull her aside and help her straighten out her frustrations, while at the same time I helped Luxie back up the steps to the top of the slide. Sydney beat us to the top and decided to stop the whole thing once and for all. She sat with her arms folded at the top of the slide and waited. When Luxie and I reached the top I said, "Ok Sydney, we are waiting on you. It's your turn!" "No, I cant go down," she said. "Why?" "Because my mommy made me sad," she said.

Now in the meantime all Luxie knew was that Sydney didnt seem to be moving. So she did what any other naive little 2 year old would do. She marched right up there, sat down next to Sydney, and slid right past her down the slide! "Wait! You cant do that!" yelled Sydney. Luxie pranced gleefully back over to the stairs, "My turn! My turn!" Unfortunately, Sydney got the 1-2-3 count from mom to come down the stairs and soon they decided to go. But I couldnt help giggling to myself at Luxie's innocence. If only I could look past the huffy folks I run into each day and just go about my business with a gleeful hippity-hop in my step!

(Again, Sydney is a very sweet girl, but Luxie knew just how to push her buttons today!)

4 Comments:

Blogger mommy zabs said...

I love the line about getting past the huffies. We can learn so much from children!

10:57 PM  
Blogger lulu said...

ouch! that's a good way to bristle a mom! not that it matters much, but because it must have been my writing that misrepresented her, Luxie was taking turns well. when Sydney sat there for a good three minutes Luxie assumed she wasnt ever going and rather than let the girl upset the moment, she went on ahead. That was the ONLY time she took cuts, I tell ya! And honey if you wanna tussel make another comment like that on my board! I tell ya, thinking my Luxie doesnt know how to take turns...my baby KNOWS how to take turns...why I oughta...

8:44 AM  
Blogger andrea said...

cogentnotion, I'm curious... do you have much experience with children? I think if you did, you would know just how difficult the concept of sharing is (most particularly for ages three and under). in fact, the average child is not fully equipped to completely comprehend the concept of sharing (thus, being able to put it into practice) until ages 4-5. I'm not saying you can't (and shouldn't) work to instill the idea of sharing until then, but it is unfair to expect them to share on command before they're able to wrap their minds around the concept.

and just for the record, I have spent a lot of time with the aforementioned luxie and she does quite well with the sharing thing (especially for a girl at the tender age of two).

I will refrain from any smarmy remarks as I think you probably just enjoy stirring things up, no?

10:30 AM  
Blogger Ward Jenkins said...

Maybe it's cognetnotion that needs to learn to be less mommy-judgmental.

11:57 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home