Saturday, February 05, 2005

something funny

Today was a fun day but very busy. We ran some errands this morning then came home, had lunch, and went down for a nap (well, Luxie did.) After that we drove out to the mall and met up with my sister-in-law and her husband and two children. Ava, their 4 year old daughter, is Luxie's best friend. So we spent the afternoon with them, went to the park, then to dinner, and finally got home just before bedtime.

Bedtime has become such an event. She has always been a great sleeper, but if the teeth are hurting or she is really tired she has begun the "put off" routine. This usually involves numerous books, followed by hundreds of requests for food or water (to the point of hysterics if she doesnt get a bite--as if we hadnt just had dinner and hour and a half ago.) Finally, she sits on my lap, we read one more for the road, then I carry her to her crib. She has started clingy real tightly at this point in the game. "Huggy! Huggy!" she cries, or "Hi! Hi!" because she sees that as some sort of bonding word. I rip her from my body and place her gently in the crib as she cries out "Mommy! Mommy!" Then I leave the room telling her I love her and we will have lots of fun tomorrow.

This evening was quite funny, however, because we have church tomorrow. At first church was the horrible place where mommy and daddy leave her for over an hour with other children and strange adults. Over time it has become a place she cheers about, primarily for one reason....cookies. At some point during the service they get out the animal crackers and pass them around to the kids for a snack. This has become the highlight of her day! In fact, now when we tell her we are going to church she says, "mmmm, cookies!"

So tonight as I ripped her from my body and placed her in her crib we were at the same sobbing point we have been at the last few evenings. Amidst her cries I called out, "I love you! We will have lots of fun tomorrow. We're going to church to have some..." and I am not kidding you, the moment the word "cookies" left my mouth she stopped crying! It was like "waaaaa, what? did someone say cookies?" It was hysterical. And I havent heard a peep since I left the room.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home